Once again, our resistance efforts are being noticed nationwide! This time it was Paul Ryan, Trump’s pusillanimous enabler-in-chief, who crossed our path. He came to Providence on March 2 to harvest corporate donations and a photo-op.
Like most Congressional Republicans, Ryan has been hiding from his own constituents, scared to face their wrath over his plans to gut health insurance, Social Security, public schools, environmental protections, and executive branch oversight. So when we heard he was coming to Rhode Island, we decided to call up our friends in Wisconsin and invite them to meet Paul Ryan in Providence … virtually.
On Thursday afternoon, hundreds of us gathered outside Ryan’s scheduled photo-op location, many of us holding up phones with Wisconsinites FaceTimed in for the occasion. As Ryan’s black car slipped by into the back alley under police protection, we chanted:
“Coward! Coward! Coward!”
“Hey hey, ho ho!
Paul Ryan has got to go!”
“2, 4, 6, 8, Congress must investigate!
3, 5, 7, 9, Paul Ryan, grow a spine!”
- Associated Press – Hundreds chant ‘Coward!’ amid Paul Ryan’s Rhode Island visit
- Common Dreams – Rhode Island Resisters Confront ‘Coward’ Paul Ryan on Behalf of Wisconsinites
- Alternet – Hundreds of Angry Wisconsinites Found a Clever Way to Heckle Paul Ryan in Rhode Island
- RI Future – Like a [health care] thief in the night, Speaker Paul Ryan visits Providence
- WPRI – Local protesters gather to greet House Speaker Paul Ryan
- RI NPR – Rhode Island And Wisconsin Residents Join Forces To Protest Paul Ryan’s Ocean State Visit
- MSNBC – The Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell
Watch our highlight reel, below: